Donuts are the perfect breakfast treat. What I can’t get behind is serving them frequently to my kids. I went in search of finding a way to incorporate donuts into our lives more and that meant figuring out a healthier version. Enter these Banana Buckwheat Donuts. In addition to wanting to throw a donut party, this post is apart of a virtual potluck … a different kind of party, but equally fun. You can click-through to the previous or next recipes below to see what bloggers from Vancouver are contributing.
These are baked donuts so they’re lower in fat than the traditional fried version. I also switched out the flour for buckwheat and whole wheat all-purpose which ups the iron and fibre content. Add bananas for a flavour everyone can get behind and some chia seeds for those omegas we could all do with more of. Topped with some dark chocolate pieces for gooey sheer delight and messy little faces. Biting into baked donuts is similar to biting into cake. It’s a soft moist batter that feels indulgent but thanks to the removal of sugar and changing the flour it is actually quite healthy. The chocolate is dark and the minimal amount is sprinkled on top.
These donuts come together in less than 30 minutes which means that they are entirely possible for breakfast, brunch or afternoon snack. We all loved them – dunking treats into coffee (or milk if you’re little) is one of my favourite things and the fact that I can do it before I’m even out of my PJs is something else.
If you’re out of buckwheat flour or just don’t dig it very much feel to use spelt or good old all-purpose flour. The result will be the same, but less nutritious. These are best served immediately out of the oven. Look at that gooey chocolate! Who’s coming over for snack?
Be sure to check out the other recipes in this #VancityVirtualPotluck by clicking through the recipes below or by visiting the host Piquant Marketing.
Serves 1 donut
Refined sugar-free, healthy Banana Chocolate Donuts. Comfort food and a delicious treat that is healthy enough for breakfast.
5 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
17 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat all-purpose flour or spelt flour
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, back or white
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or other mild vegetable oil such as canola or grapeseed
- 1 cup mashed bananas, from about 2 large or 3 medium bananas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped dark or bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease or spray a donut pan (or 2 if you have 2).
- In a large bowl mix together mashed bananas, eggs, honey, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add both flours, chia seeds, baking soda, and salt. Fold together until well combined.
- Fill donut pan with batter. Sprinkle with chocolate pieces.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or beginning to brown on top. Let cool for 15-20 minutes in pan.
- (Respray pan and repeat adding batter and topping with chocolate pieces and baking if you are like me and only have 1 donut pan).