Cozy, warm, Beet, Ginger, and Coconut Milk Soup. The ginger and coconut perfectly balance out the earthy beets. From meh, to outstanding.
Holy guacamole did this soup knock my socks off; in the best way possible. It’s beyond easy to make and surprisingly delicious. The grounding taste of beets and the creamy flavours of the coconut milk, spiced up with garlic and ginger … complementary tastes in a bowl.
** This post was updated in January 2016 with photos. Not into Beets? May I suggest this lovely, uber velvety Carrot Soup?
Vegan and ultimately delicious soup that's put together in minutes!
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 large beets, peeled and cut into 1/4" pieces (any type of beets will work. Red make for the most visually stunning and golden make for the most subtle flavour)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) low-fat coconut milk
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Garnishes (optional) of parsley, julienned beets
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft but not brown, approx. 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Add beets and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until beets are fork-tender - 20 minutes or so.
- Blend in a regular blender or with an immersion blender. Return contents to pot and stir in coconut milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and julienned beets if desired.
- Serve with crusty warmed bread.
Recipe from: Epicurious