One fish, two fish … just kidding. This is all about halibut, capital H, the big guy in my opinion. Living in Vancouver, Canada and being spoiled with having salmon regularly, halibut is a treat for us. It’s a thick meaty fish with some good flavour behind it that can hold it’s own with other bold flavours. Since it can handle big flavour pairings I thought what could knock my socks off? Enter Blackened Harissa Halibut Burgers on a Brioche Bun with a Garlic Lemon Yogurt.
The brioche buns are not mandatory by any means, but man oh man do they send this burger over the edge. A good burger can be ruined by horrible bread in my opinion brioche buns do not disappoint. I haven’t worked up the courage (or found the time) to make my own, but most bakeries that sell brioche buns can be relied upon from my experience. We have a tiny bakery in our local mall here in Lynn Valley called Westlynn Bakery and it has so many perfectly baked breads, but these Brioche Buns have to be my new favourite.
The sauce is 100% required. The yogurt with lemon and garlic enhance and compliment the harissa flavouring like nobody’s business. The yogurt also cools the spice of the harissa down. I don’t know about your family, but sauce always makes dinner easier over here. One of my twins would drink the sauce at dinner if I let her. I routinely ask her what her favourite part of dinner was and she’ll point to the bottle of ketchup and say “that one”. Solid dose of humility right there.
Switch up the burger routine with a Blackened Halibut Burger on a brioche bun with garlic lemon yogurt.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 lbs halibut, skinless, cut into 6 equal sized squares approximately 1" thick
- 2 tbsp harissa spice
- 2 brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 brioche buns (or buns of your choice)
- 1/2 cup thick Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon preserves (or juice and zest from 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- Optional for garnish: avocado slices, tomato slices, micro greens,and/or cucumber slices
- In small bowl mix together harissa spice and brown sugar together. Rub mixture all over halibut pieces.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place halibut pieces in skillet and cook until deeply browned (about 5-7 minutes) before flipping over. Cook second side until deeply browned (about 4-6 minutes) and halibut is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix together yogurt, lemon preserves, garlic and salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Place yogurt mixture on the bottom (and top if desired) buns and place halibut pieces on buns. Top halibut pieces with optional desired garnishes.