These Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Oat Bars are the perfect snack or healthy dessert for kids or parents on the go. Packed with wholesome oats, zero butter, and no refined sugar. We’re obsessed with this nourishing treat!
Oh hey Friday. You’re looking good. I’m back from Toronto with a strong attempt to get back into the swing of things with a Spring post for you all. I started on a mission quite some time ago for some strawberry rhubarb bars, but the original recipe called for a heck of a lot of sugar and so much butter. Don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge sugar and butter fan (toast has no place in my life without it), but at some point I can’t give my family a snack with copious amounts of butter and sugar regularly. This makes a huge slab so if we’re going to enjoy it for a number of days something’s gotta give. Butter and sugar were it.
I replaced the butter with coconut oil which lends an overall coconut flavour to the bars, but it’s not completely overpowering or in your face. The Strawberry Rhubarb combo is exactly what I need on a Spring day. Bright, beautiful colouring, and the kids love them making it a treat for me too. Any thing made from wholesome grains and fruit that my kids love gets my attention.
I did a little pattern on the top of these bars, which is great for photos, however completely unnecessary. If you’d like to mimic the pattern have an extra rhubarb stalk and 4 extra strawberries. Finely slice both the rhubarb and strawberries lengthwise, then decorate away!
Looking for other kid-friendly healthy snacks? My family still loves these Healthy Creamsicles and these Doughnuts (who ever thought doughnuts could be healthy?!) and these very Spring focused Sugar Snaps with Mint and Whipped Ricotta to dip the vegetables into. My kids are all about the dipping action.
Happy weekend friends! You made it! Hurrah!
Yields 16-20 bars
These Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Oat Bars are the perfect snack or healthy dessert for kids or parents on the go. Packed with wholesome oats, zero butter, and no refined sugar. We're obsessed with this nourishing treat!
5 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 cups roughly chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups quartered and hulled strawberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (firm) (sub butter if you prefer)
- 2-4 tbsp honey (I used 2 as one of my little ones doesn't like anything super sweet)
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place a medium sauce pan over medium heat with rhubarb pieces, strawberry pieces, and honey. Cook, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until rhubarb and strawberries have become tender. Remove from heat, mix in lemon juice, and set aside.
- Mix together oats, flour and coconut oil until a crumb like texture forms (I found using my hands to this created the best result). Press mixture firmly into greased pan.
- Top oat mixture in pan with strawberry rhubarb mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly in pan if serving immediately.
Bars will keep for 3-5 days tightly wrapped in refrigerator.