I’ve had way too many days lately where I’m completely hangry. It hits when I go to pick up the twins from preschool, or when it is the middle of the afternoon, I’m trying to get Baby Lucy up from her nap and the everyone out the door to an activity. No body is happy, let alone me. Mocha Momma Bites can be made in less than 15 minutes, have 5 ingredients, are good for you, vegan, and most importantly, are freaking delicious.
I’ve been relying on $4 coffees way too much (for my health and my bank account). I had to come up with a way that I could take healthy snacks on the go with me that still feel like a treat. I can’t afford the money or the time to stop for a green protein smoothie with 3 kids. Talk about impossible. Momma Bites make the most sense. I can stash them in the freezer for when I need them. To be frank though. I’d be shocked if they even make it into the freezer. Highly addictive, convenient beyond belief, and so tasty.
These bites hit all the right notes. A hit of caffeine for those sluggish days, a boost of protein and fibre from the oats, dates to sweeten and replenish magnesium post workout (I take Lucy with me during the week to my workouts), chia seeds for more feel good nutrition, and chocolate to make it feel like a treat.
The fact that these snacks are no-bake and basically made in 5 minutes (15 minutes if you include chilling time) make me regret not making them sooner. I now have zero excuses for not taking my snacks with me. Or for being hangry. Sometimes keeping things simple is best. Like 5 ingredient no-bake simple.
I made these nut-free because I often have to snack when I’m picking my kids up from preschool and they have a strict nut-free zone at our preschool. There’s no wrath like the wrath of a preschool teacher!
I am hoping to do a version of Kids Bites soon. Nut-free and all that good stuff so that it’s safe for kids to take to school. Any request on flavours? I’m thinking maybe a vanilla blueberry?
Delicious 5 ingredient, vegan, and nut-free energy balls or "Mocha Momma Bites" to get you through to the next meal.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 cup pitted dates, around 12-13
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (I use mini vegan chocolate chips, they taste less sweet to me)
- 2 tbsp ground coffee beans or 2 tsp instant espresso
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Place dates in a food processor and blend until a paste forms.
- Place date paste, oats, chocolate chipes, coffee, and chia seeds in a medium bowl. Mix by hand until all ingredients are well blended. Place bowl in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to make mixture easier to handle.
- Roll mixture into 9-11 balls. I found using 2 tablespoons of mixture made the right size of bite for my preference.
- Refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3-4 months.