Ever since we watch “Cowspiracy” (a documentary surrounding the harsh environmental impacts of cow, pork, and chicken consumption) we’ve been making a point of trying to eat minimal to no meat once per week. This is a massive challenge for me given my husbands large “need” for meat products and my requirement for high iron meals for my growing kids. Enter the soba noodle / tofu tag team that is this Peanut Tofu Noodle Bowl.
I needed a dish that is high in plant-based iron and protein, super tasty, and vibrant for looks (because no one wants to eat ugly tofu?). The soba noodles are naturally high in iron from the buckwheat (even with the fact that these are wheat/buckwheat blend noodles) and the edamame, tofu is a good source of protein, who refuses peanut sauce?!, and I throw in all veggies in the land. Or at least in my fridge. Use any vegetables that you may have in your fridge (cucumber, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, etc. all work in this dish). It’s a clean out the fridge dish for certain. I would recommend keeping the edamame for that extra boost of iron/protein.
The peanut sauce is very straight forward – it’s primarily a blend of peanut butter and soy sauce (2 ingredients likely already in your pantry), but kids love it. Tossing the tofu and noodles in this sauce is a guaranteed win.
I always crisp up the tofu by searing it quickly in a very small amount of avocado oil and I always add warm mushrooms to this dish. The hot ingredients make the dish feel more like a big bowl of indulgent pasta versus the extremely healthy bowlful of plant-based ingredients it is. It fools everyone every single time.
Yields 4 servings
Make meatless Monday deliciously unforgettable with this family favourite Peanut Tofu Noodle Bowl!
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 8 oz (250 grams) soba noodles (or double for lots of lunch leftovers)
- 1 package (12 oz or 350 grams) extra firm tofu, cut into 1" cubes
- 100 grams sliced mushrooms button or cremini)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (such as canola, avocado, or grapeseed)
- 1/2 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded or cut into matchsticks
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 tbsp peanut butter (I used smooth)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 garlic clover, finely chopped or minced
- Cook soba noodles as per package instructions.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add tofu and cook until all sides are crispy and well browned. Remove from pan and place in a small bowl. Add mushrooms to pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, until well browned and softened. Remove from heat.
- Mix together all ingredients (peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, and brown sugar) until well blended.
- Toss cooked noodles and tofu with peanut sauce.
- Top noodles with cooked mushrooms, red bell pepper, edamame, carrot, green onion, and cilantro.