If we’re going to go with the whole resolutions, intentions, something small to strive for, then let’s do while exciting our taste buds and truly enjoying it shall we? Call me crazy, but I want to be excited about eating healthy delicious wholesome foods, like a Kale Salad. Foods I know my family will be eager to eat alongside me. This salad was killer. It takes a lot for my husband to be onboard the kale-train and let me tell you that I plopped this salad down on the dinner and lunch table many times over the past week and a bit. It’s Baby Kale, Quick-Pickled Shallots, Toasted Hot Smoked Paprika Pepita Seeds (pumpkin seeds), Crumbled Goat’s Cheese with an Orange-Tarragon Vinaigrette. That huge title has actually very little going on. The full ingredient list is shorter than you’d think and the most you’ll have to do is toss some seeds in a pan and mix a salad dressing. Read on for the full recipe and ingredients as well as some drool-worthy salad porn.
I don’t have any food related new year’s intentions, but I do have personal goals that I’d like to strive for in this upcoming year. Mostly family related goals that will hopefully allow me to get back into doing things I love as we make our way out of the intense newborn phase and into an adjusted life of a family of 5 … Is there such a thing? 😉 Do you have any New Years resolutions you’d like to share?
The most Amazing Kale Salad that everyone can get behind.
15 minPrep Time
4 minCook Time
19 minTotal Time
- 1 box (5 oz / 142 grams) baby kale (fine substitutes include mixed greens, arugula, or finely shredded green kale)
- 1 large shallot, finely sliced
- 2-4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 75 grams (about 2/3 small package) goat's cheese, chèvre is preferred
- 1/4 cup pepita seeds (raw pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- sea salt
- 1 small orange, juiced
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- In a small bowl cover shallot slices with white wine vinegar, about 1-2 tbsp worth depending upon your bowl size. (add more or less if necessary, you only need to cover them for this quick pickle).
- In a dry skillet place pepita seeds over medium-high heat and cook, stirring frequently until golden brown and toasted, about 3-5 minutes. Remove seeds from skillet and place in a small bowl. Top with hot smoked paprika and season generously with sea salt. Toss until seeds are coated. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl or a sealable jar (I use a mason jar) place orange juice, 2 tbsp white wine vinegar, tarragon, and olive oil. Season with salt. Whisk or shake until well blended. (You might not need all this dressing. Any unused for this recipe will keep covered and chilled in the fridge for 5-7 days and will go with most other salads).
- In a large bowl place baby kale (or green substitute) and top with crumbled goat's cheese, DRAINED shallots, seasoned pepita seeds, and vinaigrette. Tossed until vinaigrette coats ingredients.