Fire up the grill for these fresh and delicious Apple Mustard Pork Burgers! A juicy, flavourful burger to keep the BBQ running strong all Summer long!
A good burger is always on my hit list. We’ve been making a rotation of homemade burger recipes recently and these Apple Mustard Pork Burgers reigned supreme in our house. I mean what’s not to love? Apples … mustard … and of course juicy delectable pork.
Ground pork makes for a juicer burger time after time. Don’t get me wrong, a classic beef burger is totally my jam, but sometimes I want to kick dinner and our taste buds up a notch.
Tips to make these Pork Burgers just right:
- Be sure to squeeze the grated apple to remove all excess water. We want juicy burgers – not waterlogged burgers.
- Binders are mandatory. So in this case, that means an egg, although you could sub 1/2 cup of bread crumbs if you wish.
- Don’t mess around with the mustard. While mustard is a gem, it is truly Dijon mustard that works the best with the ground pork. Yellow mustard is too harsh and grainy mustard didn’t have enough bite.
- Season friends! And I mean salt and pepper friends, not longtime friends. All meat need some salt and pepper love to give them the flavour boosters they need and pork is no exception. The salt and pepper enhance the flavour so just the right amount will do – too much and it’s way too salty, too little and the burgers are bland.
What to pair with these Apple Mustard Pork Burgers:
- Pretzel Buns!!! I can’t stress how seriously delicious this combo is. My kids LOVED these buns and burgers and while the burgers are awesome in their own right, the buns completed the burger.
- Mustard and Mayo Spread. I take equal parts Dijon mustard and mayonnaise to make a complimentary spread (also, this prevents Ketchup from entering the scene which makes my momma heart happy).
- “Quickled” Red Onion: simply toss thinly sliced red onion and white wine vinegar for a quick pickle you won’t be able to resist!
- Lettuce or other mixed greens. Green leafy vegetables love mustard and so it makes sense to park some crisp bright green Romaine lettuce on these burgers (extra veg is extra veg after all!).
More to a burger than just beef! Check out these inspiring burger recipes:
- Greek Turkey Burgers
- Easy Caprese Chicken Burgers
- Grilled Halloumi and Pineapple Burgers
- Smoked Bison Burgers
- Grilled Taco Turkey Burgers
Juicy, flavour Pork Burgers with grated apple and Dijon mustard for a mouth watering burger recipe to keep the grilling going all season long!
- 1 lbs ground pork
- 1 medium granny smith apple, grated and squeezed dry or another tart apple like Pink Lady or Lady Alice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tsp medium grain kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Preheat a grill to high heat or a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Mix all ingredients (ground pork, apple, mustard, egg, garlic, salt and pepper) in a large bowl. I find mixing it with my hands to be the best way to combiner all the ingredients.
Form burgers into 6 similar weighted burgers. I used a 1/2 cup measuring cup to get similar sized burgers.
Place burgers on grill or on skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping once, or until the internal temperature of the pork has reached 160° F.
Remove burgers from heat and serve with pretzel buns, mustard mayo, and other options listed int he blog post above.