Fritters are fantastic for fitting more vegetables into meals and these Broccoli Fritters with Lemon Yogurt Dip are perfect for getting kids excited to eat broccoli.
This is by far my favourite Smitten Kitchen Blog recipe. I’ve made it dozens of times. Smitten Kitchen has a ton of amazing recipes and for whatever reason these fritters rock my broccoli filled world.
Plus, it’s easily adapted. Add in some thinly sliced green onion or use cauliflower instead. The lemon yogurt dip definitely enhances the broccoli fritter, giving it that little bit of extra zing. It’s to die for. Seriously, I just wrote “it’s to die for” about broccoli and I totally mean it.
Once you’ve confirmed that the parmesan used in the fritters is pasteurized, these are a great side dish or snack for minis. Z & I could eat these all day long. I usually blend them with a protein of sorts for a complete meal. Or we just snack on them post-naps. Yes, my kids “snack” on broccoli. Hey, if it’s good, it’s good!
Here are a few more kid-friendly broccoli recipes:
- One Pot Cheesy Broccoli Pasta
- Slow Cooker Thai Tomato Chicken and Broccoli
- Garlicky Peanut Soba Noodles with Roasted Broccoli
- Sheet Pan Chicken, Potatoes and Broccoli – 3 ways
Fritters are difficult to dislike and these Broccoli Fritters with Lemon Yogurt Dip are perfect for getting kids excited to eat broccoli.
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli* (1-2 small bundles of broccoli)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)**
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for frying (I use canola or olive oil)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 medium lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tsp minced garlic (usually amounts to one clove)
- 1 pinch kosher salt
Chop your broccoli florets into 1″ chunks, peel your stems, and slice into 1/2″ lengths.
Bring 2″ of water to boil in a large pot. Add broccoli pieces, cover, reduce temp slightly, and steam for 5 minutes. Drain.
Lightly beat your egg in a large bowl. Add flour, cheese, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper. Add in slightly cooled broccoli and mash using a potato masher. Mash until just blended (broccoli bits will still be recognizable). Mix all ingredients in bowl with a spoon.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large heavy bottom pan over medium high heat. Using a tablespoon, spoon mixture 2 tbsp per fritter, into pan, and gently press down to slightly flatten the fritter. Cook 2-4 minutes per side, until fritters are golden brown. You’ll need to do this in batches; use remaining oil as you go along.
Place cooked fritters on a paper towel lined plate to drain. You can put cooked fritters in oven at a lower temperature (300 degrees or below) to keep warm if needed.
Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, the lemon juice from 1/2 lemon, and garlic together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt.
Serve lemon yogurt with fritters.
* if your kids are very unsure about broccoli I'd recommend pulsing the chopped broccoli in a food processor a few times to really break it down.
** I still use the red pepper flakes as they add a touch of spice, but do not make the fritters "spicy". My kids have yet to complain about it.