Brown butter. Enough said right? I should end the post here. But I won’t. I’m a sucker for most vegetables. Cauliflower is one of my favourites when it’s cooked in a new way. This dish moves me with its stunning presentation as well as it’s deliciousness.
I didn’t really know what the fuss was about surrounding brown butter, but now I’m all over it. The savoury deep flavour that enhances all that it meets. It can rain brown butter as far as I’m concerned. The cooking process really cuts through the greasiness that butter can sometimes lend to a dish.
This side dish is a showstopper on the table – it basically shouts “look at me!”. The sprinkling of toasted crunchy breadcrumbs lends a textural contrast that is laced with lemon and garlic flavours.
Brown butter whole roasted cauliflower with garlic parsley breadcrumbs.
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 10 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6-8 sprigs thyme
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 lemon zested
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Brown Butter:
- 3 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Bring water, wine, oil, kosher salt, juice, butter, red pepper flakes, sugar, thyme, and peppercorns to a boil in a large pot. Add cauliflower, reduce heat, and simmer, turning occasionally, until a knife easily inserts into center, 15-20 minutes.
- Mix breadcrumb ingredients together in a small bowl. (Set aside and prepare to top cauliflower when you rotated it partway through.)
- Using 2 slotted spoons or a mesh spider, transfer cauliflower to a rimmed baking sheet, draining well. Roast, rotating sheet and adding breadcrumbs halfway through, until brown all over, 30-40 minutes.
- To brown the butter, place the 3 tbsp in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Watching the pan very closely and swirling occasionally allow the butter to cook until foam has subsided and butter is brown, but not yet burnt. About 7-10 minutes.
- Pour brown butter over cauliflower and serve.
If you make this recipe be sure to tag #mykitchenlove