Easy Breakfast Skillet recipe with crispy tender potatoes, flavourful vegetables, and soft eggs. A one pan meal with seasoned potatoes, crispy bacon, and topped with cheddar cheese for the ultimate breakfast dish.
This post is in partnership and sponsored by The Little Potato Company as part of their Brand Ambassador Program. My Kitchen Love has been compensated monetarily and with product. We only support brands we love and cook with at home.
Crazy delicious breakfast in one pan? You bet! An easy breakfast skillet recipe that is chalked full of wholesome potatoes and veggies, that hits the spot of a truly great brunch dish.
While simple, this easy breakfast skillet is packed with flavour and comes together with basic pantry items. All this comes together in under 30 minutes.
What potatoes are best for a breakfast skillet recipe? I am a big fan of using Little Potato Company potatoes for their small size, tender no-peeling required skins, and the fact that they’re easy to cook with. Would a more common potato work in this recipe? For sure it would, however, we’d be taking on more time for cleaning, peeling, and more chopping, while losing out on great taste as well as convenience.
If you haven’t tried a little potato before, this dish is a great way to give them a try. They’re fuss-free and make for a wholesome way to switch out the weekly peeled potato.
How do you make breakfast potatoes from scratch?
Adding some water to the pan and placing the lid on the pan allows for the cooking process to speed up and keep the potatoes tender. This step allows the potatoes to brown as well.
The onion and the bell peppers add the traditional breakfast potato flavouring so don’t miss out on those ingredients.
Substitutions and variations for this Breakfast Skillet recipe:
- Vegetarian: skip the bacon and replace with 1 tbsp of vegetable oil such as canola oil or grapeseed oil.
- Dairy-free: skip the cheese.
- The bell peppers could be replaced with zucchini or whatever lingering vegetables might need to be cleared out of your fridge. And 1 single bell pepper can be used in lieu of the two halves.
- I used Blushing Belle little potatoes in this recipe, however, any of the Little Potato Company’s potatoes will work well.
More breakfast potato recipes:
Easy Breakfast Skillet recipe with crispy tender potatoes, flavourful vegetables, and runny yolked eggs.
- 3/4 lbs Blushing Belle Little Potatoes
- 3 strips bacon, thinly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion or 1/2 of a large onion, about 1/2 cup chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp grated old cheddar cheese aged cheddar or other preferred cheese, optional
In a medium to large skillet with a lid, crisp bacon over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until crispy and browned. Remove bacon from pan, then carefully remove and discard any remaining fat besides 1 tbsp.
While the bacon is crisping, cut potatoes into quarters, finely chop onion, and chop bell peppers.
Add potatoes and onion to the pan (once bacon and most of the bacon fat have been removed), allow to brown for a moment or 2. Add water and cover pan, cooking for 7-10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
Add bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 2 minutes. Create 2 spaces for eggs in skillet. Crack eggs and cover, cooking for 4-6 minutes or until eggs are cooked to desired doneness (4 minutes for a soft yolk and 6-7 minutes for a hard yolk).
Top with green onion and cheese (if using).