This Grapefruit Poppyseed Mini Bundt Cakes recipe promises me that Spring is right around the corner. Its bright flavours, easy going cooking, and the vibrant colour that cuts through any grey day. Grapefruit is very much a Winter fruit, but its powerful presence keeps me positive that the rain will end soon, leaves will sprout, and flowers will begin to bloom.
I was completely nerding out the other day, listening to a podcast with Nigella Lawson discuss why she cooks and I found her explanation very relatable. She cooks because she has to. Dinner would not get on the table for her family if she didn’t cook. So why not take some pleasure out of it? Although I choose to cook everyday and I (now) do take pleasure in it, there is that driving force that I must cook for my growing and large family (by today’s standards). It took a lot of practice, time, and energy, but I take much joy watching my family enjoy the food I’ve made for them. I still have days where I take a pizza out of the freezer or order delivery, however those days fall few and far between as with all the practice in cooking it’s become easier to simplify food and meals. I won’t say it’s easy as many things in life never seem to be. Getting nutritious food on the table that everyone in my family will like is a CONSTANT struggle. Options in simplified cooking have become easier with time and practice. It’s easier these days to say we’re having polenta, sautéed spinach, and a fried egg for dinner since that takes less than 20 minutes to throw on the table. Nobody’s perfect, and not so shockingly, nobody has the time to make elaborate meals daily. The daily struggle is one we all face, and I choose to cook.
These mini bundt cakes are inspired by a bundt cake recipe from Nigella’s latest cookbook, Simply Nigella. I adapted her Lemon and Thyme Bundt Cake into this darling recipe. I hope you like it as much as we did. xo
Grapefruit and Poppyseed Mini Bundt Cakes that can charm some brightness in any grey day.
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter (one stick), room temperature
- 1 grapefruit (preference for Rio or Red Grapefruit for colouring)
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk (whole is preferred)
- 4-8 mini bundt cake pans or one regular bundt pan
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray mini bundt pans with non-stick spray or butter. Dust with flour and shake out excess (try to get into all crevices of the pans).
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until soft and light. Grate in the zest of the grapefruit and beat until blended.
- Add in eggs one at a time. Slowing down the mixer add in baking soda, baking powder, and flour.
- Add in juice from 1/2 grapefruit and milk and mix until blended.
- Pour batter 1/2 full into cake pans and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes (for mini bundts and 45-50 minutes for regular bundts) until cakes are cooked through (test with a cake tester, toothpick, or knife and if it comes out clean it's done).
- Let cool for 15 minutes and turn out cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely. (If the cakes are well greased and fully cooked they should turn out no problem).
- For the icing combine icing sugar and 1 tbsp of grapefruit juice. If it's still too thick to pour add another tbsp of juice.
- Drizzle icing over cakes and serve.