Grapefruit Poppyseed Mini Bundt Cakes are a snap to whip up. Pretty with light pink hues and a deliciously bright grapefruit flavour.
This Grapefruit Poppyseed Mini Bundt Cakes recipe promises me that Spring is right around the corner. The bright flavours, easy going cooking, and the vibrant colour that cuts through any grey day.
Grapefruit is very much a Winter fruit, but its powerful presence keeps me positive that the rain will end soon, leaves will sprout, and flowers will begin to bloom.
I was completely nerding out the other day, listening to a podcast while making testing this mini bundt cake recipe. On the podcast Nigella Lawson discuss why she cooks and I found her explanation very relatable. She cooks because she has to. Dinner would not get on the table for her family if she didn’t cook. So why not take some pleasure out of it?
Although I choose to cook everyday and I (now) do take pleasure in it, there is that driving force that I must cook for my growing and large family (by today’s standards). It took a lot of practice, time, and energy, but I take much joy watching my family enjoy the food I’ve made for them.
I still have days where I take a pizza out of the freezer or order delivery, however those days fall few and far between as with all the practice in cooking it’s become easier to simplify food and meals. I won’t say it’s easy as many things in life never seem to be. Getting nutritious food on the table that everyone in my family will like is a CONSTANT struggle.
Cake though. One my kids and hubby will also favour and enjoy when I can carve out some baking time.
Options in simplified cooking have become easier with time and practice. It’s easier these days to say we’re having polenta, sautéed spinach, and a fried egg for dinner since that takes less than 20 minutes to throw on the table. Nobody’s perfect, and not so shockingly, nobody has the time to make elaborate meals daily. The daily struggle is one we all face, and I choose to cook because it’s important to me.
These mini bundt cakes are inspired by a bundt cake recipe from Nigella’s latest cookbook, Simply Nigella. I adapted her Lemon and Thyme Bundt Cake into this darling recipe. I hope you like it as much as we did.
This post is apart of a Grapefruit themed collaboration – thank you to our hosts Annie, Rebecca and Ruth who are linked below with some other inspiring grapefruit recipes. Be sure to check them out!
Grapefruit and Poppyseed Mini Bundt Cakes that can charm some brightness in any grey day.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (8 tbsp / 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 medium grapefruit (preference for Rio or Red Grapefruit for colouring), with zest and juice separated
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1/2 cup milk (whole is preferred)
- 1 cup icing (confectioners) sugar
- 1-2 tbsp fresh squeeze grapefruit juice
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a stand or electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until soft and light. Grate in the zest of the grapefruit and beat until blended.
Add in eggs one at a time. Slowing down the mixer add in baking soda, baking powder, poppyseeds, and flour.
Add in juice from 1/2 grapefruit and milk, and mix until blended.
Pour batter 1/2 full into cake pans and place on a baking sheet.
Bake for 18-25 minutes (for mini bundts and 45-50 minutes for regular bundts) until cakes are cooked through (test with a cake tester, toothpick, or knife and if it comes out clean it’s done).
Let cool for 15 minutes and turn out cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely. (If the cakes are well greased and fully cooked they should turn out no problem).
Combine icing sugar and 1 tbsp of grapefruit juice. If it’s still too thick to drizzle add another tbsp of juice.
Drizzle icing over cooled cakes and serve.
- What Annie’s Eating – Roasted Side of Salmon with Fennel + Grapefruit Slaw
- Square Meal Round Table – Pink Grapefruit Cheesecake
- Katiebird Bakes – Grapefruit Yogurt Bundt Cake
- My Kitchen Love – Grapefruit Poppyseed Mini Bundt Cakes
- Gobble The Cook – Incredibly Moist Grapefruit Cake
- The Healthy Sins – Grapefruit Curd Tartlets with Roasted Meringue
- Bappy Girl -Grapefruit Basil Marmalade https://bappygirlyum.blogspot.com/2019/02/grapefruit-basil-marmalade.html
- This Healthy Table – Spicy Thai Grapefruit Salad
- Always Eat Dessert – Grapefruit Tart
- Whatcha Cooking Good Looking? – Grapefruit Creamsicle Bars
- Pie Girl Bakes – Grapefruit Donuts
- Clean Plate Clb – Grapefruit Curd Tart with Champagne Whipped Cream
- Olive & Mango – Pink Grapefruit and Avocado Salad