It’s been slightly less than 2 months since I shared a taco recipe. Too long right? I know, but these Grilled Tequila and Lime Fish Tacos are so worth the wait. The fish gets nice and crispy while maintaining the lime and tequila flavours. Taco love friends. I paired the fish with avocado crema, a cucumber corn salsa and some pickled red onions. Nothing fancy, and all 3 can be made in under 10 minutes … no lie. This whole dinner is actually incredibly speedy in addition to be extremely tasty. I am all over the beautiful colours including these blue corn tortillas I found. It makes me happy when my food is beyond tasty as well as pretty.
I’ll admit that I got pretty lazy in the taco department for a while there. Not in the sense that I stopped making them (horrible accusation friends), but in the sense that I made a big batch of Baja taco seasoning and literally made them the same way every time (read every week and yes, I meal plan for tacos every single week). I even used crushed chili flakes in lieu of actual fresh chilies for awhile there. I’m back at it an just in time for Summer. And these grilled fish tacos scream summer. They’re waiting for margarita to be mixed and the family to take in the long warm evening ahead.
Not into fish tacos? I’ve got a chicken taco recipe here, and a steak taco recipe here. Any which way, I have you covered in the taco department 🙂 Out of all 3 taco recipe, I’d say the chicken one was my twin toddler’s favourite. They eat and like fish, but they were just getting over a very bad virus so this recipe didn’t have a fair chance. I’m hoping to remake it again soon.
I really enjoyed the avocado crema which is a breeze to make. Toss 1/5 avocados, 1/2 cup sour cream, juice from 1 lime and some salt and pepper into a blender and blend until smooth. Super creamy and full avocado goodness. I also added a salsa, a corn and cucumber salsa. Toss 1 cup of corn kernels, 1/2 chopped cucumber, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, juice from 1 lime, 1 chopped jalapeño (seeds removed), and season with salt. It was the perfect refreshing hit to these tacos, and the colours worked great too; very visually appealing. Last but not least I added some quick pickled red onion. Before I start cooking I place thinly sliced red onion in a small cup and top with white (or red) wine vinegar. It compliments the avocado crema wonderfully.
Grilled Lime and Tequila Tacos for a weeknight solid win at dinner.
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 lbs firm white fish, such as cod, halibut, etc. (one solid piece vs fillets)
- 2 tbsp tequila
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, such as grapeseed or canola
- 8 corn taco shells, heated to package instructions
- suggested garnishes: avocado crema, cucumber and corn salsa, pickled red onion, chopped cilantro, lime slices (see post above for details)
- Place fish, tequila, lime juice and vegetable oil in a small glass container or a plastic freezer bag. Refrigerate for 1 to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Place fish on grill (I use a fish grate to keep the piece whole, not necessary if you don't have one) and cook at high heat for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5-7 minutes (the ticker the piece the longer it will take).