Creamy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes with Holiday herbs. An infusion of holiday herbs combined with creamy, buttery mashed potatoes makes for an easy side dish that can be prepared days ahead of time.
This post in partnership and sponsored by The Little Potato Company as part of their Brand Ambassador Program. We only support brands we love and cook with at home.
Load them plates high with these creamy, buttery Holiday Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes. It’s like Christmas in a mashed potato recipe, if there ever was such a thing.
Containing 5 simple ingredients, these potatoes can be made days ahead of time and can be reheated in the microwave or oven – freeing up your stove top (or oven) on busy holiday cooking days.
I used our always preferred potatoes, Little Potato Company’s Creamer potatoes. Their skin is so tender that they still mash up beautifully (and the skins pack nutrients like potassium and fibre so we can feel virtuous about this good old mashed potato recipe).
With the skins mashed into the potatoes, there is literally no prep to this potato recipe – freeing up precious time during the holidays!
How far ahead can you make mashed potatoes? These can be made 2 days in advance and wrapped/covered tightly and placed in the fridge till go time.
If you want to, these can be frozen, but there will be additional moisture that will need to be heated off.
This recipe calls for additional moisture (milk) and fat (butter) so that the potatoes do not dry out in the fridge. Their texture should be looser than that of a typical mashed potato recipe.
I used poultry seasoning in this recipe to get the holiday flavours popping in all the right ways. The seasoning gives a warm cozy herb infusion.
Herbs like, marjoram, thyme, sage, and rosemary are used in dried form that will make your home smell like Christmas while reheating these potatoes.
Substitutions / Variations:
- Replace the dried poultry seasoning with 2 tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and sage.
- Make vegan by using a milk alternative of your choice (almond or oat would be my go to) and vegan butter.
- Need these extra creamy? Replace the milk with half and half or liquid whipping cream.
- Skip the herbs all together and add 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese for the ultimate cheesy mashed potato situation.
- I used Boomer Gold Creamer potatoes, however, Blushing Belle would make a pretty red and green holiday scene.
What to make for Christmas Dinner with these mashed up beauties?
Creamy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes with Holiday herb flavour. A classic redefined!
- 3 lbs Boomer Gold Little Potato Company Potatoes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sea salt plus more for salting water
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning*
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley optional
Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with 2" of water. Season with salt and bring to a boil.
Boil for 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork pierced tender. Drain.
Add milk and butter to pot over medium-low heat. Once butter has melted, return potatoes to pot with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Mash until desired consistency has been reached.
Place mashed potatoes in a serving dish (oven-proof or microwave-proof depending upon plans to reheat potatoes). Sprinkle with parsley if using. Allow to completely cool, then cover / wrap and place in fridge.
Reheat in oven at 350° F for 20-30 minutes or until heated through. Place in microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
* see post above for substitutions and variations.