Oven Baked Eggs in bread on a brunch board with bright fruit and veggies is perfect for Mother’s Day, group brunches, or even a special family brunch.
Mother’s Day is arriving before we know it, cue anxiety ridden thoughts about making it “the perfect day” for mom. But wait. What if we all took a deep breath and made it special but without all the expenses, frustrations, disappointments?
What if you cracked a few eggs into dinner rolls and made this stunning mouth-watering Baked Eggs in bread dish for mom? Line up some colourful fruit or vegetables with these Baked Eggs in Rolls and mom’s got breakfast made.
You don’t have to stir a thing. It’s simple yet visually and deliciously pleasing.
Making these eggs cracked into bread is super simple. I usually get sourdough buns (not bread bowls, buns) and any medium to large bun will work.
I then cut the tops out using a sharp knife and use my finger to pull out some of the inside of the buns, reserving the removed bits for bread crumbs or some other use.
To tell how these Oven Baked Eggs are cooked is to ensure the whites are firm.
I like the yolk soft still so I often will pull them out of the oven before the yolk becomes firm. That being said, you do you!
Variations / Substitutions for these Oven Baked Eggs in bread:
- If you’re out of buns, bread can work just fine. This Toad in a Hole recipe walks you through it.
- The fruit is easily subbed out for other fruit – whatever is on hand will work well.
- The asparagus is a nice way to have a vegetable at brunch, if it’s not for you simply skip or sub in tomatoes or seared mushrooms.
- Want a full lumberjack experience? Add bacon and/or sausage to the tray.
More brunch recipes we’re crazy about:
- Yogurt Panna Cotta with Fruit and Granola
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- Breakfast Skillet
- Breakfast Tacos
For Mother’s Day this year I’ve asked for my first cup of coffee to be in bed and to not have to organize food that day. I’d like to do some fun baking with my twin toddlers (cookies all the way!) and go play outside.
Might seem like insignificant asks, but having coffee in bed with cuddles from all 3 of my girls is the best thing I could ask for.
I hope the special woman in your life, mom or not, is treated to some specialness on Mother’s Day this year.
Eggs baked into dinner rolls for an easy and show stopping dish.
- 4 medium dinner buns or rolls French buns, or smaller sourdough or potato rolls work well)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup strawberries halved or left whole
- 1 cup blueberries or raspberries left whole
- 5-8 medium steamed asparagus
- 1-2 medium mangoes halved and carefully cut criss-cross
- 1-2 medium grapefruits halved
- 1 medium navel orange sliced
Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut out a hole in the top of each bun large enough to fit a cracked-egg. (Be sure to the leave the crust of bun intact so the white doesn't leak out. Use bread that's been removed from the buns for another purpose such as panzanella salad or breadcrumbs). Crack an egg into each hole. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Bake for 15-20 minutes and serve immediately.
Serve with suggested garnishes and sides if desired.
- The nutritional value above includes all sides and garnishes.