Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes with sour cream and paprika is a quick set and go dinner with minimal prep and loads of cozy creamy and smoky flavours. Comfort food in its own right.
This post in partnership and sponsored by The Little Potato Company as part of their Brand Ambassador Program. We only support brands we love and cook with at home.
A dinner recipe that incorporates nourishing potatoes, kid-adored chicken, and a creamy paprika sauce? I’m all in.
This Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes recipe comes together so fast and is takes 4 minutes (four!) to cook at high pressure once the Instant Pot has come to temperature. It’s kind of a dream.
What makes this Instant Pot recipe so easy to prep? The delicious and wholesome Little Potatoes that come ready to cook with – no peeling or washing required!
I cut the chicken down to match the size of the potatoes which makes the overall cooking time less that if the chicken was left whole.
You know I’m a huge fan when a vegetable saves me time in the kitchen. I used the Roasted Red Pepper & Onion Potatoes from the Oven | BBQ Ready line, however any of the creamer potatoes from The Little Potato Company will work.
Sour cream and paprika together give this dish a Chicken Paprikash feel, which is a traditional Hungarian chicken dish served over pasta.
The sour cream makes the dish creamy and cozy – comfort food level really. You might have some hesitations with the paprika (especially when serving kids), however I suggest using a sweet paprika so no one has to hear the whining around any food that may be S-P-I-C-Y.
What does paprika taste like? It lends itself to a smoky flavour versus spiciness.
If used too liberally paprika can be bitter so be sure to start with less and add more (you can always add to a dish, but not take away).
Variations / Substitutions:
- Skip the flour for a naturally gluten-free dish.
- Cut up pork tenderloin would be equally as delicious here as the chicken.
- Want some spice in your life? Swap the sweet paprika for spicy paprika.
Other Potato meals we’re crazy about:
Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes with sour cream and paprika is a quick set and go dinner with minimal prep and loads of cozy creamy and smoky flavours.
- 1 lbs Little Potatoes such as Blushing Belle or Roasted Red Pepper & Onion
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2" pieces
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil such as canola or grapeseed
- 1 medium yellow / cooking onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-8 tsp sweet smoked paprika*
- 14 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt**
In a large bowl, mix together potatoes, chicken, paprika, flour (if using), and seasoning pack from potatoes OR salt until chicken pieces are coated.
Allow Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure and then carefully remove the lid.
Add sour cream and mix until sauce is creamy and blended in.
* start with the 2 tsp and work your way up. For my family, I found that 1 tbsp is the perfect amount of paprika in this dish. If you’d prefer for this dish to be spicy, swap the sweet paprika for hot.
** skip salt if using the seasoning pack from the Oven | BBQ Ready potatoes.