I can tell you the whole family loved this dish. In fact, I had a difficult time keeping the SunGold Kiwifruit away from tiny toddler fingers who could not get enough. Kiwifruit Chicken Soba Noodle Salad was a total win with adults and kids alike. SunGold’s are sweeter and “less furrier” (as my toddlers like to say) than bright green kiwifruits. In addition, the SunGold’s taste like a cross between strawberries and mango … My mind is reeling with the recipe possibilities of that description (specifically, margaritas … am I right?). This flavour profile is what makes kiwifruit great in savoury dishes like this one; the sweetness balances the spice and saltiness from the other ingredients in the dish.
* This post is sponsored by Zespri Gold Kiwifruit, however, all opinions are mine alone.
Some of you might be questioning my sanity with regards to adding kiwifruit to a savoury dish, but we often add mangoes to curries or strawberries to salad so the flavours work here. It worked so well that I’d love to find other ways to incorporate kiwifruit into everyday meals my family will enjoy, the health benefits combined with the great taste make serving kiwifruit a no-brainer.
As a busy mom I like the shelf life of kiwifruit as well. I won’t waste food if I don’t get to it within a week; park kiwifruit in the fridge and I’ve got a heavy hitter on the backbench waiting to be put in the game for up to 2 weeks. Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit is available May to October at most local supermarkets, however more information and recipes can be found on the Zespri website.
All of us enjoy eating kiwifruit and are fans of how easy it is to eat using the cut and scoop method. Literally cut a kiwi in half and scoop the luscious fruit directly into your mouth. They’re perfect snacking food in addition to being a great addition to any meal. It makes a perfect baby food since it’s naturally soft and unbelievably healthy. I knew kiwifruits were high in potassium (more than the average banana!!), but I had no idea of the other astounding health benefits, from your daily intact of Vitamin C to the low calorie, Vitamin E, and high fibre attributes.
Kiwifruit and chicken go very well together, but adding in the soba noodles for additional (plant-based) iron and fibre is a great go to for any busy individual.
Refreshing and healthy Kiwifruit and Chicken Soba Noodle Salad
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 400 gr. chicken breasts (about 2 large)
- 8 oz. / 250 gr. soba noodles
- 3 kiwifruit (SunGold or green), peel removed and sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (leaves and tender stems)
- 1 red Thai chile, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat grill or oven to 375°F. Cook chicken breast for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove from heat and set aside to rest.
- Cook soba noodles as per package instructions and rinse thoroughly with cold water once cooked.
- In a large bowl whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Add noodles to bowl and toss with sauce.
- Slice chicken into thin stripes for serving.
- To serve layer bowls/plates with noodles, chicken, kiwifruit, bell pepper,and green onion. Sprinkle with cilantro and Thai chiles.
This post is sponsored by Zespri as part of the Zespri Gold Kiwifruit Cut & Scoop Campaign. My Kitchen Love has been compensated monetarily and with product, although all opinions remain my own.