This Linguine with Clam Sauce feels fancy, but is made from simple pantry staples that won’t break the bank. It’s a family favourite weekday pasta dish or fancy enough to serve to guests on the weekend.
This recipe was one that I used to love when I was a little kid. I’ve always been a huge seafood fan and clams were always a personal favourite. This simple, low ingredient dish is homey, but also feels fancy and like I’m a gourmet chef.
Linguine with Clams has turned into my kids favourite now too. This has come during a pandemic which is great, because I can find pasta and canned clams at the grocery stores making this a back pocket recipe I lean on frequently.
Clams are also very high in protein / iron. They’re little, but pack a mighty punch of nutrient that makes us feel full and satisfied after a comforting bowl.
This dish is nice and “light” but still so enjoyable to eat. A slow food meal that we can sit back and appreciate not only the food, but each other as well.
What goes with linguine and clam sauce?
We usually do a simple light salad, similar to this Spicy Greens Salad, the Mustard Vinaigrette from that salad is our usual go to where we will toss it with butter lettuce or a red leaf lettuce and gobble it up before a cozy pasta dish.
Ingredients for this Linguine with Clam Sauce recipe:
- Quality canned or jarred clams with liquid: My favourite brand is Allessia Baby Clams in a jar with clam juice.
- Any dried linguine pasta: and if you’re in a pinch, most long noodles (fettuccini or spaghetti) also work.
- White wine: is used for some depth of flavour as well acid. If you don’t like cooking with wine, lemon juice, chicken broth or even some additional water work well as substitutes.
- Fresh parsley: I don’t think there is a substitute here, but if you don’t like parsley, omit or add some extra basil.
More pantry friendly recipes:
Luscious Linguine with Clam Sauce. Made from pantry staples that taste delicious together for a family favourite weekday meal.
- 16 oz. dried linguine pasta
- 9.5 oz. canned or jarred clams with juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small finely chopped cooking onion yellow or white
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (dry) white wine
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
Cook linguine as per package directions, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid immediately before draining.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large rimmed pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until beginning to soften and turn translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute or 2 longer.
Add wine (see post above for substitutions) and cook for 3-5 minutes until liquid has reduced by half. Add clams and juice from can/jar, and cook for 2 minutes until heated through. Season with sea salt.
Add cooked pasta, pasta water, parsley, basil (if using), lemon juice, and red pepper flakes (if using). Toss aggressively together until herbs are scattered throughout the pasta and pasta has a silky coating. Serve immediately.