Mango Brown Sugar Bread is a perfectly sweet quick bread. Bursting with mango and brown sugar flavours, it’s a delicious mango recipe.
One of my favourite parts of travelling is finding new foods and dishes that I can recreate at home. We were lucky enough to escape the snow for some serious sunshine in Maui where we literally did nothing besides make sandcastles with the kids and play in the pool. It was awesome.
While we were driving from grabbing shave ice one day, we stopped at a roadside fruit stand. I grabbed a loaf of banana bread and a loaf of mango brown sugar bread (shave ice is the better cousin of a snow cone and SO delish! I highly recommend trying it if you can find it). We were blown away by the mango bread. So tasty and moist like banana bread, but not too sweet.
My kids are currently obsessed with mangoes so this recipe is perfectly timed.
How to pick a mango at the grocery store? They should be slightly soft, but still firm, similar to an avocado. Mangoes will have a floral fruity smell at the stem and if they’ve gone off, they’ll smell almost alcoholic. Since there are so many type and colours of mangoes it’s often best not to judge ripeness by their colour until you’re familiar with buying one specific type.
I remember hanging out with a friend one day and she completely sliced her hand open while trying to cut a mango. Don’t do that. Even to make this bread.
Through much practice I’ve found that the easiest way to break a mango down is to cut the stem off the bottom and make flat surface to stand the mango up on. Then I peel the skin off (I use a very sharp knife, but a vegetable peeler will also work). Cut away half the mango while avoiding the pit. Same with the other side and then cut the thin sides off.
Here are a couple of other breads that aren’t banana flavoured to get your loaf game going strong:
- Coconut Lime Loaf
- Blueberry Ice Cream Bread (not going to lie, I am totally intrigued and have to make this one!)
- Zucchini Bread
- Pumpkin Raisin Bread
Mango Brown Sugar Bread is a perfectly sweet quick bread. Bursting with mango and brown sugar flavours.
- 1/2 cup mango purée (approx. 1.5 small mangos)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) coconut oil (or another mild vegetable oil like canola or grapeseed)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (100 gr.) brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (55 gr.) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (or egg replacer such as a flax egg)
- 1 1/2 cups (250 gr.) all-purpose flour
- 2 tps demerara sugar*, for garnish - optional
- 3 thin slices fresh mango, for garnish - optional
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease or spray with non-stick spray a 9" x 5" pan.
In a large bowl, mix together mango and coconut oil. Stir in baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Add brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, and egg. Mix to combine. Gently mix in flour with a few strokes.
Pour batter into prepared pan (top with demerara sugar and mango slices if using) and bake for around 50 to 60 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
Allow to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
* Demerara Sugar is a corse sugar that is a great option for topping breads and other baked goods. It retains it's crunchy granules and won't melt or be absorbed unlike brown or white sugar.