Easy One Pot Chicken Thigh recipe with Barley and Vegetables. Hands off cooking with an easy dinner idea.
I’m teaming up with some Canadian Food Bloggers again, but this time for 12 Healthy Weeknight Dinners. A solid roundup that will take you through at least 2 weeks of weeknight meals. And, they all look amazing! Special thanks to my friend Melanie at The Refreshanista for hosting this month’s collaboration!
This chicken thigh recipe is something that I’ve been trying to get to you all for some time. Juicy chicken thighs, whole grain barley and seasonal vegetables are a perfect fit in this healthy One Pot Chicken, Barley and Vegetables.
In addition to being one pot, this dish is low on ingredients which is great so you don’t have to spend an hour at the store before even making the dish. And beyond a sear for the chicken, this dish is mostly hands off, letting pot and stove do their thing while you go do yours.
My whole family adored this dish. My twins called the barley “delicious rice” and I didn’t correct them as they piled spoons high with barley. They went savage and ate the chicken on the bone (with the skin removed, the skin makes it more difficult for them to get a good bite so I generally take it off).
All 3 kids tried 1 pieces of brussels sprouts each. Still a no go, but I did make them fully chew and swallow the single piece. It’s getting less difficult to get them to have 1 really good bite of food they’re sceptical about or think they don’t like since I’ve been very consistent on the “you have to try it every single time, 1 big bite”. The kids had frozen peas as their veg in lieu, but still ate the mushrooms.
I think mushrooms and barley are a fantastic team. Broccoli, cauliflower, broccolini, or any hearty leafy greens such as swiss chard or kale would be wonderful in this recipe if brussels sprouts are out of season.
Yields 4 servings
Satisfying and family-loving One Pot Chicken, Barley and Veg - clean out your fridge with any vegetables in this easy to put together dish.
5 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 4 large chicken thighs, about 1.25 lbs/570 grams
- 1 cup semi-pearl barley
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow (cooking) onion, finely chopped
- 100 grams sliced mushrooms (white/button or brown/cremini)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- juice and zest from 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat a large dutch oven or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. Place chicken thighs skin down in pan and let cook until skin is brown and crispy, about 7-9 minutes. The chicken should loosen and not stick to the pan once it is crispy. Flip chicken once and cook for 2-3 minutes until bottoms are also browned. Remove chicken from pot with a slotted spoon and reserve on a plate.
- Keep chicken fat in the pot and add onion and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are browned and onion has softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add lemon juice and cook, stirring, picking up the crispy bits on the bottom of the pan and juice has almost evaporated.
- Add thyme and barley to pot. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add chicken and any chicken juices back into the pot. Add broth and bring pot to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and partially cover for 20-25 minutes, until barley is cooked and little to no broth remains.
- Garnish with pepper and lemon zest.
Be sure to check out all the scrumptious Weeknight Healthy Dinners from my fellow Canadian Food Bloggers:
- Roasted Tomato Pasta Dinner by A Pretty Life Blog
- Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by I Say Nomato
- Mexican Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- One Pot Chicken, Barley and Veg by My Kitchen Love
- Parmesan Polenta with Poached Egg and Spinach by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Chicken and Chickpea Stew by Imagelicious
- Lentil Tacos by Cocoa Bean,The Vegetable
- Lighter Mac n Cheese by Fuchsia Freezer
- One Pan Baked Salmon and Roasted Veggies by She Bakes Here
- Steamed Rice with Red Curry Coconut Squash by Sugar Love Spices
- Citrus + Soy Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Killing Thyme
- Tofu Fajitas with Guacamole Crema by The Refreshanista