Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs with Thyme and Parmesan Soldiers eats like a major treat, but really it’s made in under 15 minutes making a perfect breakfast dish any day of the week. A twist on a classic soft boiled eggs recipe.
There’s something about cracking that outer hard shell of a boiled egg to reveal a perfectly oozy yolk. When done properly, a soft-boiled egg can feel perfectly indulgent while being completely healthy. Pair with a smoothie or fresh fruit (or even this citrus forward Winter Fruit Salad) for a total winner of a meal.
What’s a “soldier” doing on a food blog? When a piece of toast is cut into thin long strips prefect for dunking, they’re called soldiers. These Thyme and Parmesan Soldiers would be great for any soup in addition to being soft on the inside and carefully grilled on the exterior.
Doing toast in this fashion is a really great way to switch up regular old toaster toast which my kids get tired of frequently (read: when I get too tired to really cook anything and we’re eating things on toasts a lot).
My husband usually makes breakfast during the week (unless it’s a special occasion then I take over and make pancakes) as I’m usually desperate to get even 3 minutes of additional sleep during the week. This recipe is something I do on the weekends. And sometimes I even do it for lunch when we’re pressed for time and have nothing to eat in the house besides bread and eggs. Which happens far more often that I care to admit. So maybe this recipe is my fall back as I almost always have parmesan in the fridge and dried thyme in the pantry.
Boiled eggs are particular. Every detail matters. How cold your fridge is kept, where you take the eggs out of the fridge right when you start boiling the water, what size your eggs are, etc. No detail is too minimal to perfect the perfect soft-boiled egg. This is what works for us. Adjust the recipe accordingly to make your eggs perfect too 🙂
Do you have a favourite fall back meal with minimal ingredients and cooking time? I’d love to expand my repertoire!
Yields 4 servings
Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs with Thyme and Parmesan Soldiers are the easiest and tastiest brunch!
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 4 large size eggs
- 4 pieces of bread (sourdough 1/2" thick cut preferred)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Place eggs on counter next to stove.
- Add water halfway up a medium to large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, carefully add eggs, lowering slowly and gently into pot so that the shell does not crack. Immediately reduce heat to medium / medium-low to a strong simmer (so that there are still small bubbles pushing up to the top, but not an aggressive boil that will crack the eggs). Cook for 6 minutes and immediately remove and crack the egg for soft boiled. Leave in the water for 1.5 minutes longer for a hard boil egg (better for children).
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Butter both sides of bread pieces and sprinkle with thyme and parmesan, gently pressing both into the butter. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side until browned. Remove from skillet and cut into 1" wide long pieces.