Got the cranberry blues? Looking for a change-up? Either way, this relish will brighten any holiday meal. Crunch of the pomegranate, refreshing mint, and some tang from the vinegar and lemon juice is enough for this dish to earn a permanent spot on my holiday menu.
My favourite part though? The relish can be almost entirely made a day before you serve it. Saving much precious time when you’re frantically running around getting stuff done in the kitchen.
This condiment is most definitely a change from the traditional cranberry sauce. It has so much flavour and texture that I found myself wondering why cranberry sauce is such a big thing. I’ve yet to make a cranberry sauce as I’ve yet to try one I like … cat’s out of the bag. I’m a cranberry sauce hater. But this relish steals my heart every time I make it.
For me the big holiday meal isn’t about having all new dishes on the table, but rather having 1 or 2 that can totally change the feel of it. This relish served at a traditional turkey meal can take it from perhaps boring to fresh and modern – just from changing up the condiment. This relish is also fabulous on leftover turkey sandwiches. Just saying.
Yields Approximately 2-2.5 cups of relish
Brighten any holiday table with the Pomegranate-Mint Relish. Refreshing, crunchy, and lively condiment!
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1/2 small shallot, chopped
- 1.5 cups pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1.5 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Combine shallot, pomegranate seeds, oil, zest, juice, vinegar, and mint in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
* Relish can be made 1 day ahead (without mint). Cover and chill. Add mint immediately before serving.
Recipe from: Bon Appetit
*This post was updated with photos and comments December 2016.