Always juicy and flavourful Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken with a Creamy Mustard Sauce. These prosciutto-wrapped chicken breasts are easy to wrap and then bake for a mouth-watering chicken recipe that can be served over pasta, rice, or potatoes.
This post is in partnership and sponsored by Mastro/San Daniele. My Kitchen Love has been compensated monetarily, although opinions in this post are my own. We only support brands we love and cook with at home.
All the yum with minimal effort and ingredients is this Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken in a Creamy Mustard Sauce.
It’s a perfect balance of juicy chicken, savoury and salty prosciutto, and a creamy mustard sauce. It can be placed on top of pasta, rice or potatoes for an exquisite meal.
The San Daniele® Prosciutto used in this recipe is so supple and easy to wrap around the chicken. It’s a versatile and delicious addition to any recipe with its classic flavour, unique fragrance, and natural rosy colour that only time can achieve.
Conveniently found in grocery stores in the pre-packaged section or bulk deli counter, San Daniele® Prosciutto is made according to old world tradition – it’s no wonder this is the #1 brand in Canada.
Wrapping the chicken in prosciutto is a quick and easy way to achieve the ultimate chicken dish.
The prosciutto helps keep the chicken from drying out while baking, adds layers of delicious slightly salty flavour, and pairs with the mustard sauce like a dream. The versatility of prosciutto makes it so easy to cook with.
How to make Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken:
A simple technique is to wrap the prosciutto lengthwise while allowing the fat from the prosciutto to drape across the chicken (the thin line of prosciutto fat turns into a glorious basting liquid when rendering down during the baking process).
This recipe calls for the Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken to be baked at 375° F as this allows the prosciutto to remain soft (not crispy) and melds with the texture of the chicken.
Fairly hands off, once the chicken is wrapped in prosciutto the oven does the rest. Chicken should always be cooked to an internal temperature of 165° F (using a meat thermometer is the best way to tell when chicken is cooked through).
Variations / Substitutions for this Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken:
- Chicken thighs can be swapped out for the breasts while adjusting baking time and ensuring the chicken is cooked to an internal temp of 165° F.
- If basil is out of season or simply not your thing, rosemary or parsley are equally as delicious with prosciutto and chicken.
- I used pasta under the chicken (because kids + pasta + prosciutto-wrapped chicken = the best dinner scene) however rice or potatoes would also work wonderfully.
- The Mustard Sauce calls for white wine however, replacing that with chicken broth or even water will do.
More ways to wrap, bake and layer Prosciutto:
Always juicy and flavourful Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken with a Creamy Mustard Sauce.
- 8 slices San Daniele® Prosciutto
- 4 medium chicken breasts*
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup white wine (or replace with chicken broth or water)
- 1-2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or whole milk)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice about 1/2 of a medium lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp dried basil
Preheat oven to 375° F and oil or butter an oven-proof dish of approximately 9" x 13" or so in size.
Salt and pepper the chicken then wrap prosciutto around chicken breasts (2 pieces of prosciutto per chicken breast) with the ends of the prosciutto meeting on the bottom so it remains in place. Place in greased dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165° F.
Meanwhile, make the Creamy Mustard Sauce. In a small sauce pan, heat butter over medium heat and add garlic, cooking and stirring occasionally for 2 minutes. Add white wine and reduce for 3-5 minutes. Add mustard, honey, cream, and lemon juice. Cook for 3-5 more minutes to allow flavours to combine. Add most of the basil, reserving a few pieces to sprinkle on top of the prosciutto-wrapped chicken.
Pour sauce into chicken pan and serve immediately.
* If your chicken breasts are on the larger side, either cut the chicken lengthwise and reduce the baking time slightly or wrap in more prosciutto and increase the baking time slightly.