Soups. Not the traditional type of comfort food we may think of, but I know that soup is my go-to comfort dish. Warmth, easy scents that can send me down memory lane and general ease of preparation make soup like a warm hug. Although we’re not quite out of summer, the thought of leaning over steaming hot liquid, wrapping my cold hands around the piping hot bowl, and inhaling the fragrant scents that seem to be welcomed breath have me craving soup regularly. Whether it’s a gourmet bowl of bisque or the ubiquitous red and white can of soup, they both have a way of grounding me unlike any other dish. This is another Canadian Food Creatives Collaboration with 9 Autumn Soups to send a bowlful of warmth your way. I made Roasted Chicken Minestrone as my contribution – a one pot meal that is ready to compensate for those colder, shorter days ahead. Big thanks to Diana of 365 Days of Easy Recipes for hosting!! Be sure to head to the end of this post to see all the soup recipes
The anticipation of eating is a wonderful experience. These days I’m making our dinners multiple hours in advance of suppertime and I often find myself literally wanting to dive in head first into these dishes. The house smells amazing. The kids want to know exactly what it is that I’m taking photos of (usually when I take photos it means the food is extra good, or as one of my twins says “this supper is extra yummy to me mommy”). And I can’t wait to see if all the recipe testing, planning, and effort has paid off. Making this Roasted Chicken Minestrone Soup, filled with fresh vibrant herbs was a pleasure … although the wait felt significant.
Up until recently, soups haven’t had much time at our supper table. Having very small children has limited the amount of soup I make due to the temperature (way too hot for them) and the difficulty of eating it (balancing thin liquids on a smaller spoon). I tried serving it at a cooler temperature in a cup for them to drink, but they still weren’t into it. This dish was much more successful. In large part because it was whole pieces of chicken and pasta – more stew-like, making it way easier for them to eat. I’m hoping that soup becomes a much more frequent dish for us as it’s easy to prepare in advance and make large batches of … making my life way easier. Don’t forget to scope out all the Autumn Soup recipes at the end of this post!
Do your kids like soup? Tell me your secrets! I need a gateway for the colder seasons ahead.
Fall forward into colder and shorter days with a comforting bowl of Roasted Chicken Minestrone Soup - one pot meal!
5 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 medium sized chicken thighs (skin on, bone in)
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 stalks (ribs) celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 gram (28 oz) diced tomatoes OR 4 tomatoes on the vine, sliced crosswise and grated (discard skin)
- 5 cups (1 ltr) chicken stock
- 1 x 330 ml (14 oz) can navy beans (or other small beans)
- 1 cup (145 grams) small tubed pasta
- Finely grated parmesan to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large dutch oven or large casserole dish (any dish that is large and ovenproof).
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin side down and cook until well browned, approximately 5-7 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside . (This may need to be done in batches).
- Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring the entire time, until paste is coating vegetables. Add bay leaves, oregano, basil, diced tomatoes, chicken stock,beans and pasta. Bring to a boil and return chicken to pot, skin-side up and place in oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
More comforting soups from my fellow Canadian Food Bloggers:
- Broccoli and Cheddar Soup by Food Mamma
- Roasted Chicken Minestrone Soup by My Kitchen Love
- Lighter Potato Leek Soup by Fuchsia Freezer
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- Cream of Spinach Soup by I Say Nomato
- Miso Noodle Soup by The Refreshanista
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup with Polenta Croutons by Flavour and Savour
- Creamy Carrot Orange Soup with Cashews by Making Healthy Choices
- Roasted Butternut Squash Ginger Pear Soup by She Loves Biscotti
Recipe inspired by a Donna Hay‘s Roasted Spatchcock Minestrone