This Spicy Crispy Tofu with Soba Noodles is hearty and satisfying. It’s an easy tofu recipe that’s irresistible. Crispy fried tofu with protein-rich soba noodles is a great vegetarian meal loaded with healthy plant-based proteins.
This recipe is from the now defunct Peaks & Harbours where shared many recipes that my family loved. Since that website has gone down, I thought I’d share some of the recipes here with updated photos. It’s been a fun revisiting some our favourite dishes from a few years past.
This Spicy Crispy Tofu with Soba Noodles is one of my favourites because it has huge gains from iron-rich foods that are still plant-based.
Sometimes getting back to basics is all about simplicity in cooking, that doesn’t mean giving up big bold flavours. How to impart big bold flavours on a bland ingredient such as tofu? Let’s add a bit of spice and a whole lot of texture.
This is by far the best tofu I’ve ever eaten. Not just tofu I’ve ever made, but eaten. Anywhere. The crispy texture combined with the spicy sauce will win over any tofu nay-sayer.
I clean out my fridge with any sad looking veggies to round out the bowl. Here I added some sautéed kale (goes marvellously with the sauce), crunchy carrots, and bright bell pepper slices.
Historically I’ve also added sautéed mushrooms, cucumber, celery, or any other vegetable that goes nicely with the tofu and soba noodles.
Here are a few more ideas like this easy tofu recipe:
- Diary-free Egg Bites
- Peanut Tofu Noodle Bowl
- Sesame Crusted Tofu
- Vegetarian Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
- Garden Veggie Tofu Scramble
I’d love to hear of any addicting tofu recipes you and your family enjoy. My kids love this dish, but do find the sauce a bit spicy. I usually have to tame it with some rice vinegar and honey or severely reduce the about of chili paste used.
- 300 grams extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin (if you don’t have mirin add an extra tbsp of rice vinegar and 1/2 tsp sugar)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
- 2 tbsp Sriracha or gochujang (or any other hot pepper paste)
- 2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 8 oz. (1 package) soba noodles, cooked as per package instructions Sliced vegetables (such as cucumber, bell peppers, carrots, avocado, browned mushrooms, spinach, etc.)
- Sliced vegetables (such as cucumber, bell peppers, carrots, avocado, browned mushrooms, spinach, etc.)
Cook noodles are per package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, flipping once for about 10-15 minutes, until tofu is brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and allow to cool slightly.
In a small bowl combine soy sauce, miring, rice wine vinegar, hot pepper paste, grated ginger, and sesame oil (if using). Add tofu and toss in sauce until well coated.
Divide noodles amongst 4 bowls and top with tofu and sauce. Top with desired vegetables.
Tofu recipe adapted from Bon Appetit