This recipe was a lot of fun. First of all, it looks very cool and secondly it uses rhubarb which pulls me from the depths of Winter with a vibrant promise that Spring has arrived and Summer is just around the corner. I actually made this bundt cake because of the pan. Yes, you read that correctly. I made a whole blog post out of a $15 (Canadian Dollars friends) IKEA bundt pan (direct link here). Most of you have lives that exceed this kind of unrational cooking behaviour, but I throw myself head first into it. Why not make a Vanilla Rhubarb Bundt Cake just to get this retro looking cake?
Side note – This is not a sponsored post. This is just me having fun with a cool cake pan.
Most fruits with any bundt pan could be used, however the top pattern would turn out much differently. I like the way this is a naked bundt. Usually bundt cakes are topped with glazes, but I kept the compote (cooked down rhubarb and vanilla) on the side. It’s a nice addition that is great on this cake, or even ice cream. However, if making a compote is out of the question, whipped cream, sweetened crème fraîche or even sweetened Greek yogurt would all go wonderfully.
This bundt pan took a bit longer than the other regular sized pan I have, but you truly can’t beat the $15 CDN price. The photo above shows what the pan looks like and how the rhubarb pattern came about. Be sure to fully grease and flour the pan before placing the rhubarb in place (otherwise it will stick and not turn out at all).
Spring has sprung! Dive into it with this bright and tasteful Vanilla Rhubarb Bundt Cake
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 rhubarb stalks, cut into 2" length x 1/2" wide pieces (there may be some to spare depending upon length of the stalks, save for compote)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons (clear) vanilla extract (if clear is unavailable use regular)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 rhubarb stalks, chopped
- 1 vanilla bean, halved (or 1 tablespoon vanilla paste or extract)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour pan, knocking out excess flour. Place rhubarb in pan in desired pattern.
- Beat together sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Add milk and vanilla and mix until just blended.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until batter is blended and smooth.
- Bake for 45-55 mins or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, place chopped rhubarb, vanilla bean sugar, and water in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb has softened and ingredients have blended.
- Gently loosen cake from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve cake with compote on the side.
Bundt cake batter adapted from I am Baker