The fresh taste of caprese in a juicy chicken burger with the cheesiest centre!
Looking forward to burgers all summer long? Me too. And what I hope to excel at is cheesy, juicy burgers in large numbers. And burger all kinds: beef, turkey, lamb, but most of all chicken burgers. I hear you. Beef burgers have game, BUT chicken burgers are so delicious and juicy as they are able to take on lots of different flavours. Like caprese flavours of basil, tomato, and fresh Bocconcini cheese.
Speaking of the cheese … this summer, Tre Stelle is holding The Great Canadian Cheese Sweepstakes, where not just one, but three (3!!) people will win a trip for 2 to Niagara Falls to the Tre Stelle Cooking School for 3 glorious cheese filled days. Be sure to hop over to Tre Stelle to enter this epic giveaway! Just think of all the fabulous meals you’ll get to enjoy in a fairly spectacular location. I’m a little envious; can you tell?
While my kids adored these burgers, I topped them with some grown up ingredients. Micro greens, quick pickled red onion, and a honeyed grainy mustard on fresh sourdough buns. We all loved the way the Bocconcini oozed out of the centre of the burger, complimenting the fragrant basil and sun-dried tomato flavours.
Chicken burgers are so delicious, however they can be a bit more fickle than a regular beef burger as chicken meat can dry out quickly. Be sure to check in on the burgers often while cooking and use ground chicken thigh meat if available; the darker leg meat from the chicken can handle the heat a bit better.
Ready to get cooking? Don’t forget to enter The Great Canadian Cheese Sweepstakes!
Yields 8 burger patties
The fresh cheesy taste of caprese in a juicy chicken burger!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 4 Tre Stelle Bocconcini balls, halved
- 2 lbs ground chicken, preferably thigh meat
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes, around 4 from a jar with oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- optional garnishes: micro greens, lettuce, quick pickled red onion (let sit in red wine vinegar for 5-10 min), grainy mustard with 1 tsp of honey in it)
- In a large bowl combine chicken, garlic, basil, sundried tomatoes, olive oil, pepper, and salt (I use my hands to mix it all up).
- Using about 2 tbsp of meat mixture, form a small patty shape and place one halved Bocconcini piece in the middle, top with another 2 tbsp of meat mixture and form a burger, ensuring the cheese is well covered by the meat (otherwise the cheese will ooze out of the burger while cooking, and we want that delicious melty cheese parked right in the centre of the burger).
- Heat a skiller or the grill to medium heat. Cook the burger about 5-8 minutes per side, checking frequently to prevent overcooking.
* This post is kindly sponsored by Tre Stelle as part of The Great Canadian Cheese Sweepstakes. All opinions expressed are my own and compensation was received in exchange for this post. I only post about products I use and love, which helps keep this blog running.