It’s another #CanadianFood Creatives collaboration coming at you. Big thanks to Amanda from The Cinnamon Scrolls for hosting and coming up with the “Fresh Strawberry” idea. This of all the recipes and participating bloggers can be found at the end of this post. For me, Strawberry Shortcake always has a light and summertime feel. It’s perfect for picnics, potlucks, and any old BBQ that needs a strawberry feature. Strawberries scream summer to me and it was a riot using them in the decadent dessert. This Strawberry Shortcake with Lavender Lemon Cream really reinforced that Spring is well underway with Summer rapidly approaching, AND, isn’t it just the prettiest? I’m completely smitten with the top.
The lavender lemon cream is fragrant and an elegant change-up to a classic cake. I love the fragrant fresh scent of the lavender completely brightened by a hit of lemon. The lemon really brings the whole cake together as it compliments both the strawberries and lavender immensely well.The sliced of lemon on top also add some flare to the usual white and red photo. Could we talk about how perfect this would be for Canada Day? So much love for the red and white. We’re pretty lucky here in Canada and I know this cake would bring the celebration to new (layered) heights. 😉
The cream is steeped with lavender buds and lemon zest so we’re not actually eating either of them. The flavour is pronounced, but there’s no visual giveaway, it is all in the taste which I like. A sleeper flavour profile that makes you stop for a second and truly taste the cake. Airy flavoured whipped cream between fluffy cake and strawberry slices are a dreamy, dreamy thing. If you’re not into making layer cakes then dipping whole strawberries into this cream is an equally delicious win.
Summertime classic Strawberry Shortcake reinvented with hints of lavender and lemon in the whipped cream.
25 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (clear if possible)
- Whipping Cream:
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tbsp dried lavender buds
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 pints of whole strawberries, 3/4 of them sliced into 1/4" slices
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place parchment paper at the bottom of 2 x 8" round cake pans. Grease and flour pans, knocking out excess flour.
- With the paddle attachment on a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl whisk together cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In 3 additions, alternate adding in flour and milk mixtures (starting and ending with flour mixture).
- Divide the batter between the two pans*.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely to room temperature. Chill in fridge for at least 1 hour or max 1 day.
- Whipping cream:
- Place whipping cream, dried lavender, and lemon zest in a medium sauce pan. On medium-low bring to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes to allow flavours to meld. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature, strain (discard solids) and chill liquid in fridge until cold.
- When ready to a assemble and serve, using a whisk attachment in an electric mixer, whisk whipping cream and sugar together until stiff peaks form, about 2-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove cake from fridge and slice each cake in half horizontally to make 4 pieces. Layering cake, whipping cream and strawberries build the 4 layer cake carefully building each stage.
* I used a scale to ensure my two cake pans were equal in weight. This was primarily for photo purposes, if the cake was for personal use I would have just eyeballed it.
Be sure to check out all the other strawberry recipes in this collaboration!
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries by Food Mamma
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Covered Strawberries by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal Pancakes by She Bakes Here
- Rituals + Strawberry, Rhubarb, Ginger Shrub by Eating Niagara
- Simple Macerated Strawberries by She Loves Biscotti
- Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles by Homemade & Yummy
- Strawberry Ice Cream with Drunken Rhubarb by Sugarlovespices
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble with Toasted Almonds by Crumb Kitchen
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Streusel Buns by Crumb: A Food Blog
- Strawberry Rolls with Basil Cream by The Cinnamon Scrolls
- Strawberry Shortcake with Lavender Lemon Cream by My Kitchen Love
- Strawberry Streusel Shortbread Bars by The Bluenose Baker
- Strawberry Vanilla Cream Tart by Tiny Sweet Tooth
- Yogurt Cake with Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb by Making Healthy Choices