For a brief period of time I had to cut out dairy in my diet due to the needs of our newest baby’s (Lucy) sensitive tummy troubles. Problem resolved and I am back on the dairy train, but I wanted to share this recipe as I loved it’s flavours. To fulfill my daily requirement of chocolate and sweets I had to come up with some dairy alternate recipes to compensate. Enter a Vegan Chocolate and Pomegranate Mousse Tart.
The base of this tart is Oreo cookie crumbs. After much research through my friend “Google” it appears that the jury is out as to whether or not Oreos are actually vegan. What I do know is that I can eat them freely as they are Baby Lucy friendly. If you’re a strict vegan go with a vegan brand of chocolate cookies.
These cute little tarts are filled with yummy pomegranate flavour, the comforts of chocolate cookie crumbs, and drippy chocolate.
Comforts of chocolate cookie, bright pomegranate flavour and drippy chocolaty goodness.
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 can chickpeas (water and chickpeas separated, chickpeas reserved for another use
- 1/4 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1 x 236 ml container of Pomegranate juice
- 2 cups vegan chocolate cookie crumbs
- 5 tbsp coconut oil (liquid), divided plus extra for greasing
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Line the bottom 3 x 4.5" springform pans OR one 9" pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with coconut oil.
- Mix cookie crumbs with 4 tbsp coconut oil and press firmly into the bottom of pans (I used a flat bottomed measuring cup to do this).
- With electric beaters or in a stand mixer and in a large bowl, beat chickpea water* until a stiff peak holds and at least doubled in size, 3-4 minutes. Add icing sugar and pomegranate juice to chickpea "mousse" and mix until just blended.
- Top cookie base with pomegranate mousse and place in fridge.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes, but not longer than 2 hours. The chickpea mousse will eventually release the pomegranate juice (this is not a make ahead dessert unless you keep all components separate).
- Melt chocolate chips and with 1 tbsp of coconut oil in the microwave in 20 second intervals.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over pomegranate mousse.
- *chickpea water will continue to increase in volume exponentially if allowed. Only beat until you have stiff peaks and it's just over doubled in size. If you'd like to make this recipe ahead of time, keep cookie base, mousse, and chocolate drizzle separate - assemble at the last moment.